SDG 16 at Halfway to 2030: Progress and Steps Forward and what can the Summit of the Future Achieve?
June 26, 2023
We have now reached the halfway point of Agenda 2030. The Secretary General’s annual review has described the situation as dire, with a desperate need for urgent transformative action.
SDG 16 was included in the SDGs as an enhancer, with the targets and indicators intended to closely interlink with the other SDG Goals. But how successful have governments been in implementing Goal 16 and using its interlinkages to enhance the adoption of other goals? How can Member States and other stakeholders step forward in the next 7 years.
Moderator and introductory comments Jan Gustav Strandenæs Senior advisor on governance and sustainability for Stakeholder Forum
Welcome: Felix Dodds, Director Multilateral Affairs. Rob and Melani Walton Sustainable Solutions Service (RMWSSS) Arizona State University
9:00-10:15 am – Panel 1 – How well has SDG 16 been implemented?
Moderator: Mrs. Claudia Maria La Rue, Counsellor Permanent Mission of the Dominican Republic to the UN
Sarah Rattray, Senior Adviser Human Rights representing the Governance and Rule of Law/Human Rights teams. Panel 1 Sarah
David Banisar, Visiting Senior Fellow, London School of Economics – SDG 16 Progress – Midway to 2030 report.
Maggie Williams, Pathfinders – 2023 Pathfinders Report
- SDG Targets Guide
- UNDP Report – COVID-19 and the Crisis of Governance: The Impact of the Pandemic on Peace, Justice and Inclusion (SDG 16)
- OHCHR Guidelines on the effective implementation on the right to participate in public affairs
- OHCHR Report – A/HRC/53/25: Sustainable development and freedom of expression: why voice matters – Report of the Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression
- UNDP Report – Connections that Matter: How the Quality of Governance Institutions may be the Booster Shot we need to Reduce Poverty and Inequality
10:15-11:30 – Panel 2 – Summit of the Futures
Moderator Mr Wisnu Prabowo, First Secretary Permanent Mission of Indonesia to the UN
Yasser Baki, Deputy Head, Our Common Agenda Team Executive Office of the Secretary-General (EOSG) – on Summit for the Futures. Panel 2 Yasser
Nudhara Yusuf, Research Assistant with the Global Governance, Justice & Security Program. Panel 2 Nudhara
- Jeffery Huffines, Senior Advisor Coalition for the UN We Need & Together First
- Marianne Beisheim, Senior Associate SWP – German Institute for International and Security Affairs
- Corporate Human Rights Benchmark – World Benchmarking Alliance
- Global Governance Innovation Report 2023
- Global Governance Survey 2023
- The Interim People’s Pact for the Future
- Is Civil Society Arguing Itself out of Political Space?
- Will the New Agenda for Peace and Summit of the Future Transform the UN?
- Tomorrow’s People and New Technology
11:30-12:45 pm – Panel 3 – SDG16 and Interlinkages
Moderator: Dr. Gabriela-Cornelia Horosanu, Diplomatic Counsellor Permanent Mission of Romania to the UN
Julia Kercher, Interlinkages of SDG16 and other SDG Goals. Panel 3 Julia
David Banisar, Visiting Senior Fellow, LSE; Consultant to UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression. Panel 3 David
John Romano, TAP Network – Rome Civil Society Declaration and SDG16+ interlinkages.
- Horizontal Accountability for SDG Implementation: A Comparative Cross-National Analysis of Emerging National Accountability Regimes
- Integrated policymaking: Institutional designs for implementing the sustainable development goals (SDGs)
- Key Players in Accountable SDG Implementation: National Human Rights Institutions
- Stakeholder Forum – Stakeholder Engagement Overview and Guide
- Transparency in the Time of War – a Survey for 143 countries
- UNDP / DESA – What is a Good Practice? – A Framework to Analyse the Quality of Stakeholder Engagement
- UNDP Report – Connections that Matter: How does the quality of governance institutions help protect our Ocean?
- Stakeholder Forum – Financing for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement: The UN Ecosystem of Initiatives on Private Sector Finance
- UNDP Report – Human Rights and Voluntary National Reviews: Operational Common Approach Guidance Note
- UNDP Report – UN Good Practices: How The Universal Periodic Review Process Supports Sustainable Development
- Governing the Interlinkages between the SDGs Approaches, Opportunities and Challenges
- Stakeholder Democracy: Represented Democracy in a Time of Fear
12:45- 1:00 Next Steps and recommendations
Moderator Jan Gustav Strandenæs Senior advisor on governance and sustainability for Stakeholder Forum
Felix Dodds, Director Multilateral Affairs. Rob and Melani Walton Sustainable Solutions Service (RMWSSS) Arizona State University
Irena Zubcevic, Director Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future
January 10, 2023
Preparations for the major events in 2023 offer the chance to create an interlinked agenda that builds through the year.
This workshop would be a day long and would bring together the thinking around the 2023 UN Water Conference, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction Mid-Term Review, the Financing for Development Heads of State Round Tables, the Food System Summit Stock-Take, the Heads of State 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (including the SDGs) Summit and the Global Stocktaking that will lead to COP28.
Session 1: 9:00-9:15 Introduction
Moderator: Charles Nouhan – Chair of Stakeholder Forum
Video links are on the name of the person.
- Dr. M. K. Dorsey – The Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Service (RMWSSS) Chair (The Walton Chair) with a concurrent appointment as Professor of Practice in the College of Global Futures (CGF), Arizona State University.
- Marion Barthelemy – Director, Office of Intergovernmental Support and Coordination for Sustainable Development, UN-DESA.
- Johannes Cullman – Chief Science Advisor in the Office of the President of the UN General Assembly.
Session 2: 9:15-10:30 Integrating the COP28 Global Stocktake of the Paris Agreement with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Meriem El Hilali – Counsellor at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the Kingdom of Morocco.
November 30 to 12 Dec: UNFCCC COP28
Keynote Speaker: Ambassador Mohamed Khalil – Green Climate Fund
- SDG Summit: Irena Zubcevic – Director of Stakeholder Forum.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 4, Irena Zubcevic
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Lisa Kurbiel – Director of the Joint SDG Fund Secretariat at the United Nations.
- Water Conference: John Matthews – Executive Director, Alliance for Global Water Adaptation (AGWA).
- Sendai Framework: Daniel Perell – Stakeholder Engagement Mechanism, Baha’i International Community.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 7, Daniel Perell
- Food System Stock-Take: Eirini Pitsilidi – Global Head of Food Systems Advocacy CIWFI.
Session 3: 10:30-11:45 Linking the UN Water Conference with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Deputy Permanent Representative Mr. Amriyo Bobozoda – Permanent Mission of Tajikistan to the United Nations
March 22 to 24th: UN Water 2023 Conference
Keynote Speaker: Aaron Salzberg – Director of the Water Institute and the Don and Jennifer Holzworth Distinguished Professor in the Department of Environmental Science and Engineering in the Gillings School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Sendai Review: Yogita Mumssen – Practice Manager of the Water GP’s Global Unit World Bank.
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Alex Money – CEO of Oxford Earth Observation and faculty at the University of Oxford’s Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment.
- Food System Summit Stock-Take: Peter G. McCornick – Executive Director, the Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute. PowerPoint
- SDG Summit: Lotta Tahtinen – Chief of Outreach and Partnerships, Division for SDGs at United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA).
- COP28 – Danielle Gaillard-Picher – Senior Water Specialist in Global Processes.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 2, Dani Gaillard-Picher
Session 4: 11:45- 1:00 Linking the Food System Summit Stocktaking with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Counsellor Marco Romiti – Sustainable Development Coordinator at the Permanent Mission of Italy
July 24-28th: 2023 Food Systems Summit Stocktaking Moment
- Water Conference: Lifeng Li – Director of FAO’s Land and Water Division.
- Sendai Framework: Martin Frick – Director World Food Programme, Director WFP Global Office Germany (BER) and Office to the EU in Brussels (BRU).
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Olav Kjørven – Senior Director of Strategy EAT.
- SDG Summit: Meena Bilgi – Core Associate WOCAN (Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Management), PowerPoint
- COP28: Lasse Bruun – Director, Climate and Food at UN Foundation
Session 5: 2:00-3:15 Ensuring that the General Assembly High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development builds on the major events in 2023.
Moderator: Zak Bleicher – Head of the IFAD New York Office.
- Water Conference: David Boys – Deputy General Secretary Public Services International.
- Sendai Framework: Marc Gordon – Senior Coordinator, Midterm Review of the Sendai Framework (MTR SF).
- Food System Stock-Take: Nadine Gbossa – IFAD Director, Food Systems. PowerPoint
- SDG Summit: Raymond Landveld – Economic Affairs Officer, UNCTAD
Session 6: 3:15- 4:30 Ensuring that the major events in 2023 pave the ground for the SDG Summit.
Moderator: Ambassador Cornel Feruţă – Permanent Representative of Romania to the UN.
Keynote Speaker: Patti Londono – Vice Minister in the Colombian Foreign Ministry.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 5, Paula Caballero and Patti Londoño
- Water Conference – Dr. Flavia Rocha Loures – Leading Environmental Lawyer, Milare Advogados.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 3, Dr. Flavia Rocha Loures
- Sendai Framework: Toni-Shae Aqeelah Freckleton – Head of New York Office.
- Food System Stock-Taking: Philip Lymbery – CEO of Compassion in World Farming.
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA:FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 10, Philip Lymbery
- Jeffrey D. Sachs – Director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University, and President of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
- COP28: Farrukh Khan – Director General (Economic Coordination, Economic Diplomacy & OIC) Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Pakistan.
- The Summit of the Future: Michelle Griffin – Director, Policy Planning/Policy, Office of the Secretary-General, United Nations for United Nations.
Session 7: 4:30- 5:45 Integrating the Review of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Ambassador Carlos Segura, Deputy Permanent Representative of El Salvador to the United Nations.
Keynote Speaker: Ambassador Liz Thompson with responsibility for Climate Change, Small Island Developing States, and Law of the Sea and Deputy Speaker for the Barbados Senate.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 8, Liz Thompson
- Water Conference: Prof. Pennan Chinnasamy – Assistant Professor, Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas. PowerPoint
- GA High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development: Chantal Line Carpentier – Chief UNCTAD New York Office of the Secretary-General.
- Food System Summit Stock-Take: Arjan van Houwelingen – Chief, Strategic Policy and Public Affairs World Federation of Animals. FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 11, Arjan van Houwelingen
- SDG Summit: Chris Dekki – Director, Global Advocacy and Engagement SLOCAT Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport.FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 6, Christopher Dekki
- COP28: Jamie Cummings – Project Manager, Vulnerability Research Re-Energize Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience, University of North Carolina FOG Volume 7 – Chapter 1, Jamie Cummings. PowerPoint
Session 8: 5:45—6:00 Conclusions
- Professor of Practice Felix Dodds, (Director of Research and Development Multilateral Policies and International Affairs, Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Service (RMWSSS), Arizona State University (Adjunct Professor Water Institute, University of North Carolina).
- Marion Barthelemy, Director, Office of Intergovernmental Support and Coordination for Sustainable Development, UN-DESA.