Building Momentum for a Successful Interlinked set of UN Conferences and Events in 2023
January 10, 2023
Preparations for the major events in 2023 offer the chance to create an interlinked agenda that builds through the year.
This workshop would be a day long and would bring together the thinking around the 2023 UN Water Conference, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction Mid-Term Review, the Financing for Development Heads of State Round Tables, the Food System Summit Stock-Take, the Heads of State 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (including the SDGs) Summit and the Global Stocktaking that will lead to COP28.
Session 1: 9:00-9:15 Introduction
Moderator: Charles Nouhan – Chair of Stakeholder Forum
Video links are on the name of the person.
- Dr. M. K. Dorsey – The Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Service (RMWSSS) Chair (The Walton Chair) with a concurrent appointment as Professor of Practice in the College of Global Futures (CGF), Arizona State University.
- Marion Barthelemy – Director, Office of Intergovernmental Support and Coordination for Sustainable Development, UN-DESA.
- Johannes Cullman – Chief Science Advisor in the Office of the President of the UN General Assembly.
Session 2: 9:15-10:30 Integrating the COP28 Global Stocktake of the Paris Agreement with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Meriem El Hilali – Counsellor at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the Kingdom of Morocco.
November 30 to 12 Dec: UNFCCC COP28
Keynote Speaker: Ambassador Mohamed Khalil – Green Climate Fund
- SDG Summit: Irena Zubcevic – Director of Stakeholder Forum.
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Lisa Kurbiel – Director of the Joint SDG Fund Secretariat at the United Nations.
- Water Conference: John Matthews – Executive Director, Alliance for Global Water Adaptation (AGWA).
- Sendai Framework: Daniel Perell – Stakeholder Engagement Mechanism, Baha’i International Community.
- Food System Stock-Take: Eirini Pitsilidi – Global Head of Food Systems Advocacy CIWFI.
Session 3: 10:30-11:45 Linking the UN Water Conference with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Deputy Permanent Representative Mr. Amriyo Bobozoda – Permanent Mission of Tajikistan to the United Nations
March 22 to 24th: UN Water 2023 Conference
Keynote Speaker: Aaron Salzberg – Director of the Water Institute and the Don and Jennifer Holzworth Distinguished Professor in the Department of Environmental Science and Engineering in the Gillings School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Sendai Review: Yogita Mumssen – Practice Manager of the Water GP’s Global Unit World Bank.
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Alex Money – CEO of Oxford Earth Observation and faculty at the University of Oxford’s Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment.
- Food System Summit Stock-Take: Peter G. McCornick – Executive Director, the Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute. PowerPoint
- SDG Summit: Lotta Tahtinen – Chief of Outreach and Partnerships, Division for SDGs at United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA).
- COP28 – Danielle Gaillard-Picher – Senior Water Specialist in Global Processes.
Session 4: 11:45- 1:00 Linking the Food System Summit Stocktaking with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Counsellor Marco Romiti – Sustainable Development Coordinator at the Permanent Mission of Italy
July 24-28th: 2023 Food Systems Summit Stocktaking Moment
Keynote Speaker: Khaled Eltaweel – Coordinator of the United Nations Food Systems Hub. PowerPoint
- Water Conference: Lifeng Li – Director of FAO’s Land and Water Division.
- Sendai Framework: Martin Frick – Director World Food Programme, Director WFP Global Office Germany (BER) and Office to the EU in Brussels (BRU).
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Olav Kjørven – Senior Director of Strategy EAT.
- SDG Summit: Meena Bilgi – Core Associate WOCAN (Women Organizing for Change in Agriculture and Natural Resources Management), PowerPoint
- COP28: Lasse Bruun – Director, Climate and Food at UN Foundation
Session 5: 2:00-3:15 Ensuring that the General Assembly High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development builds on the major events in 2023.
Moderator: Zak Bleicher – Head of the IFAD New York Office.
September 21st: General Assembly High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development
Keynote Speaker: Shari Spiegel – chief, Policy Analysis & Development Branch, Financing for Sustainable Development Office, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA). PowerPoint
- Water Conference: David Boys – Deputy General Secretary Public Services International.
- Sendai Framework: Marc Gordon – Senior Coordinator, Midterm Review of the Sendai Framework (MTR SF).
- Food System Stock-Take: Nadine Gbossa – IFAD Director, Food Systems. PowerPoint
- SDG Summit: Raymond Landveld – Economic Affairs Officer, UNCTAD
Session 6: 3:15- 4:30 Ensuring that the major events in 2023 pave the ground for the SDG Summit.
Moderator: Ambassador Cornel Feruţă – Permanent Representative of Romania to the UN.
September 19th-20th: Heads of State UN High-Level Political Forum review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
Keynote Speaker: Patti Londono – Vice Minister in the Colombian Foreign Ministry.
- Water Conference – Dr. Flavia Rocha Loures – Leading Environmental Lawyer, Milare Advogados.
- Sendai Framework: Toni-Shae Aqeelah Freckleton – Head of New York Office.
- Food System Stock-Taking: Philip Lymbery – CEO of Compassion in World Farming.
- High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development in the GA: Jeffrey D. Sachs – Director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University, and President of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
- COP28: Farrukh Khan – Director General (Economic Coordination, Economic Diplomacy & OIC) Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Pakistan.
- The Summit of the Future: Michelle Griffin – Director, Policy Planning/Policy, Office of the Secretary-General, United Nations for United Nations.
Session 7: 4:30- 5:45 Integrating the Review of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction with the other major events in 2023.
Moderator: Ambassador Carlos Segura, Deputy Permanent Representative of El Salvador to the United Nations.
May 18-19th: Midterm Review of the Sendai Framework (Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience)
Keynote Speaker: Ambassador Liz Thompson with responsibility for Climate Change, Small Island Developing States, and Law of the Sea and Deputy Speaker for the Barbados Senate.
- Water Conference: Prof. Pennan Chinnasamy – Assistant Professor, Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas. PowerPoint
- GA High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development: Chantal Line Carpentier – Chief UNCTAD New York Office of the Secretary-General.
- Food System Summit Stock-Take: Arjan van Houwelingen – Chief, Strategic Policy and Public Affairs World Federation of Animals.
- SDG Summit: Chris Dekki – Director, Global Advocacy and Engagement SLOCAT Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport.
- COP28: Jamie Cummings – Project Manager, Vulnerability Research Re-Energize Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience, University of North Carolina. PowerPoint
Session 8: 5:45—6:00 Conclusions
- Professor of Practice Felix Dodds, (Director of Research and Development Multilateral Policies and International Affairs, Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Service (RMWSSS), Arizona State University (Adjunct Professor Water Institute, University of North Carolina).
- Marion Barthelemy, Director, Office of Intergovernmental Support and Coordination for Sustainable Development, UN-DESA.
FoG 10 January 2023 Saved Chat